Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tick, tick, tick

I am striking while the iron is hot and my computer is functional for the moment, (again eternal thanks to Daouda!!!!!) And now I can post a picture of me and the guys!

Remi, me, William outside the Palliative Care Office
(Remi taught me, what I call, their secret handshake. I'm feeling like I'm in the club now!)
As many of you have heard and have emailed me about, there were demonstrations today in some cities (not Ngaoundere) in Cameroon to protest the current President, Paul Biya. He has been in power for almost 30 years, another "President for Life" that people obviously tire of after a while. Elections are scheduled for November this year. Rest assured, we have been keeping an eye on the situation. I registered with the US Embassy before I left the states so they know I'm here and I check the State Department website daily at least, and Cameroon is still not listed on the very long list of countries they warn against traveling to. I post this only because the world is small, and information is everywhere, and when people love you, they worry, and I want to assure you all, things are calm here, and plans are on for a Monday departure.

Speaking of departures, I have a really happy update on Saliou. He will be discharged on Friday! I was able to watch his dressings being changed today, the first time since almost passing out seeing and smelling his wounds in his home 2 1/2 weeks ago. The tissue is clean, and granulating nicely (non-medical folks--this means that pink, bumpy, healthy tissue is filling in), with only a smidgeon of bone showing through. He still has a mountain to climb in terms of the wound actually closing, but today I let myself feel some hope that it will. Saliou's father (who it turns out isn't his father, but that's a long story) came to the palliative care clinic yesterday to receive instructions for discharge on Friday. Remi will continue to see him at home and do the dressing changes, which is a huge relief because Remi knows what he's doing and he will be able to act quickly if things turn for the worse.

The day ended with an evening spent at Remi's home for a wonderful dinner with his family and a friend, and William and his beautiful 7 year old daughter. I laughed so hard when I looked up at the TV and it was Bart and Marge Simpson speaking in French. I'm watching the Simpsons in Cameroon!

The group at Remi's house

Remi's super cute son, Ghislain
So many stories and pictures in my head, so many new friends who I will always carry in my heart and miss when I leave, so many old friends and family (and my cat) that I miss and can't wait to see. I want to slow down and speed up the clock at the same time.

My friendly neighborhood artist, Must, who has "new and original" work that he brings to show me about
 every other day. It really is very good, I enjoy his style. He enjoys that I am an easy sell, although I am much better at bartering these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment