Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wrapping Up

I return home in less than a week! The sign of a great trip: You can't wait to go and you can't wait to get home! But it will be hard to leave. I told my sister in an email yesterday that I had this pang in my heart as I walked up to the Palliative Care office yesterday and saw William doing the morning sweep of the perpetual dust out of the office and I thought, "Oh, I am going to miss him and Remi so much!" It will be odd to go to my real job and they won't be there. Shannon responded back, "I can tell that Cameroon has got it claws in you." Claws sounds a bit violent, but I would agree, I think I'm a bit hooked.

Yesterday was a very good day! One of the things we have been working on together is figuring out how Remi and William can take this program to the next level. It is clear that they need to pursue more formal education in Palliative Care and receive the credential that will make them the recognized experts in this region. It will also allow for Protestant Hospital to become a clinical training site for other palliative care students. Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, offers an 18 month long distance learning diploma program for Remi, and several short courses for William in counseling and training. As always, the universal challenge would be funding. We are exploring some scholarship opportunities through Helping Hospices in the UK, and other places and putting applications together before I leave. We met with the CEO of the hospital system yesterday, Dr. Salpou, to review the "state of the palliative care program" and what is needed for ongoing support. The most gratifying development was to get a commitment from the administration to support Remi and William's salaries while they are away for their short stints in Uganda. This is huge! Usually, when staff goes away for continuing education, they do not collect their salaries, making it a very difficult sacrifice for them and their families. The 3 of us left Dr. Salpou's office with big smiles!

So, just an FYI, the pineapple juice spill on my computer continues to cause problems. I am using Remi's computer right now, but I may be limited in my ability to post much more, which really bums me out. Douda, the IT wizard, is looking at it right now, and he is a genius, but we'll see. I really wanted to post a picture of Remi, William and I together. I call us the Mod Squad.

So, the schedule for the rest of the week, in case this is my final post while here:
Wednesday: work with Remi and William and then at the end of the day, a hike up a different mountain with Jacalyn, The Adventurous.
Thursday: My birthday! And there is a big party planned by my pals. Karen is going to find ground beef, (this has been like the search for the Holy Grail for her) and make her famous meatballs and boiled potatoes. Kalsumi, who is the adopted granddaughter of Hans and Martha is coming too and she is going to make Krumkake. Yes, this is going to be a Cameroonian/American/Norwegian birthday party. If I can't be at home with my family, then I can't think of a better way to celebrate!
Friday: a final good-bye lunch with Remi and William. : (
Saturday and Sunday: who knows....Pack up stuff and make sure I don't weigh too much, luggage and body, to get on the bush plane on Monday.
Monday: take off in the SIL Bible Translator Plane to Yaounde. Spend the day resting and relaxing at the EELC Mission House and then our flight to Paris leaves at 11:35 pm.
Tuesday: Land in Minneapolis at 1pm!
Wednesday: Sleep, sleep, sleep.
Thursday: Return to Abbott. Wow. Seems weird....

No comments:

Post a Comment